Monday, August 06, 2012

A tragic Sunday


Last week, my wife and I had to go to one of those awful funerals. Funerals are never a good thing, but when someone dies too early or in a way that defies the uneasy accommodations we make with our own mortality, you don't know what to say or to do. I am not going to say more to respect the privacy of the family, but it was a bad one. A very good person taken too soon.

I have come to the view - schooled by loved ones who have experienced things far worse than I ever have or, please God, will ever have to - is that the worst thing that you can do is try to explain or look for "the bright side." The best thing you can do - and it is so frustrating - is to say that I am sorry and I will help you in any way that I can.

Early yesterday afternoon, I left the birthday party of one on my grandsons. Llittle Caleb Richard Esenberg turned 4 on Saturday and it was just another of those nice little milestones on a beautiful Sunday. Then I turned on the radio.

I can't think of anything to say to the families of those who have been lost and wounded other than that we are sorry and to ask how we can help. I can't think to offer any more than that suggested by my Purple Wisconsin colleague, Jim Rowen, “prayers for the victims and the community."

No more. But no less,

Cross posted at Purple Wisconsin.

No comments: