Monday, January 15, 2007

Happy King Day

The next time sometimes expresses concern with President Bush's God-talk and with his belief that, as a leader, his charge is to discern God's will and act accordingly, keep in mind the final paragraph of Martin Luther King's last speech:

Well, I don't know what will happen now. We've got some difficult days ahead. But it doesn't matter with me now. Because I've been to the mountaintop. And I don't mind. Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the promised land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people will get to the promised land. And I'm happy, tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord.

- Delivered on April 3, 1968 in Memphis, Tennessee.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, you know the problem is not so much someone being dependent on God, but who is doing it. Just as it doesn't matter if a politician appears in a church, but who is appearing.

Rick Esenberg said...

I agree. In a way, that is the point. There is a rather significant body of opinion (check the book stores) that Bush's God-talk or suggestion that his faith ought to inform his policies is in and of itself problematic. I always think that King Day is an appropriate time to remember that the was the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King. We leave the first honorific out, but it came first with him.