Sunday, March 09, 2008

Music for a celtic week

Now comes the week leading up to St. Patrick's weekend. This means that we ought to start enjoying Celtic folk rock. Let's start with the Waterboys, a band fronted by a Scotsman, Mike Scott. Their signature song is "The Fisherman's Blues."




As for the Irish in America, we can't forget the Dropkick Murphys, whose recent fame includes "Shipping Up to Boston" featured at the opening of the film "The Departed. But I choose the bar time anthem, "Kiss me, I'm S***-faced"



Of course, the Murphys are also known for the Boston Red Sox theme "Tessie" - a song they wrote about a song sung by the Royal Rooters, a Sox fan group in 1903.



But to bring together things Irish and sports, I leave you with House of Pain:

4 comments:

3rd Way said...

"Jump Around", a contemporary Wisconsin classic, immortalized as a Badger football tradition. It is the first song I ever danced to, more like jumped around to, with the girl that would someday be my wife.

-Verse 2-

-I'll serve your ass like John MacEnroe
-If your girl steps up, I'm smacking the ho
-Word to your moms I came to drop bombs
-I got more rhymes than the bible's got psalms
-And just like the Prodigal Son I've returned
-Anyone stepping to me you'll get burned
-Cause I got lyrics and you ain't got none
-So if you come to battle bring a shotgun
-But if you do you're a fool, cause I duel to the death
-Try and step to me you'll take your last breath
-I gots the skill, come get your fill
-Cause when I shoot ta give, I -shoot to kill,


WTH? How can I play that song for my grandkids and explain that the night I met their grandma we danced to that song?

Rick Esenberg said...

You can't.

Be honest. Did you know these were the words?

Of course, even if you didn't, you still would have jumped. Heck, I am a grandpa and I do.

3rd Way said...

I did know the lyrics. I would gleefully sing along... still do, but know I shake my head thinking about how insane it is that something like this has become an anthem.

Republicrat said...

If you haven't yet heard Flogging Molly, you've been missing out. (http://www.floggingmolly.com/)