Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Shark in Mizzou

We spent the weekend in Missouri visiting our niece Monica who is a freshman at the University of Missouri in Columbia and watching the Packers play the Rams. Mizzou has a very nice campus and probably the best student rec center that I have ever seen. The Edward R. Jones Dome is nice enough (and I am a huge proponent of downtown stadiums) but football should not be played indoors. I am not sure how it looked on TV but the place was full of Packer fans. In our section, it was about 90% green and gold.

The Packers did not play well, but the offensive line seemed to improve as the game continued. If that improvement is replicable against someone other than St. Louis, I think we saw what the Packers can do in the deep game.

On the other hand, I don't see them maintaining a 9:1 takeaway ratio for the rest of the year.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

If the Pack start playing like a team they could maintain that ratio.

reddess said...

The rec center at Mizzou has a spa...a spa! Students can go get a 1/2 hour massage for $9.00. I can't get a massage for $9.00 and I'm old. I need that more than a bunch of college students do (sorry Monica). They also have one of those lazy old rivers. All you have to do is lay back and the current carries you away while easing your tensions. There are a bunch of comfy rocking chairs in the same room. Huh? We had nothing like that when I went to Madison. We had to drink to get rid of our stress. Geez. How fair is that?
I agree that football in a dome is not right. If I didn't look at the players on the field, I felt like I was at a giant indoor soccer game. We are lucky to have Lambeau field and the Pack. And Aaron Rodgers.
Go Pack. Make sure to go after that old dude who is wearing purple and throwing interceptions.

Anonymous said...

Reddess--what happened to your love of the "old dude wearing purple" and your uncertainly of Rodgers? How fickle.

reddess said...

Anon
I still think that he is a great QB and did alot for the Pack and Green Bay. That will never change.
However, he has handled this whole thing poorly. I believe that he is being vindictive and just wants to stick it to TT and the Pack.

Besides, he's a Viking.

reddess said...

I was uncertain about Rodgers because he hadn't had the chance to show us what he can do. I think that he is still learning but is a very good QB...with a good career ahead of him. But what do i know?

Anonymous said...

Reddess, perhaps they didn't have such amenities at the Union when you were a student at the great state university, but you should check out the new $100 million Union South now under construction. It will be the bomb!

reddess said...

$100 million Union South? I used to work there dishing out ice cream (and eating it). What are they doing to it for that much $?
I studied there alot...it was pretty dumpy at that time.

Anonymous said...

What are they doing to it for $100 million? It's completely gone -- right now it is a hole in the ground, from which will rise a spectacular new building. The students voted to tax themselves to pay for it. Across the street is the $150 million Wisconsin Institutes for Discovery, the half-private, half-public research facility. Get the Marquette man away from 12th & State and show him what the great state university looks like. On, Wisconsin!

Union South: http://www.newunion.wisc.edu/.

WID: http://www.discovery.wisc.edu/morgridge/.