Wednesday, November 15, 2006

If I did it?

This sounds unspeakably creepy. OJ Simpson will publish a book entitled "If I Did It" describing how he would have killed Nicole Brown and Ron Goldman. My first reaction is that, while Judith Regan has a constitutional right to publish this, she ought not to have done so. My second is that the Goldman and Brown families have huge judgments against Simpson. Have they done anything to try and insulate the money that Simpson will earn on this book from attachment? Will a clever lawyer figure out a way to go after Regan's cut? My third reaction is that the OJ jury should be ashamed of itself. The lawyering by the prosecution in that case was several cuts below average, but they allowed themselves to be duped by racial solidarity into allowing Simpson to make fools of them. My fourth reaction is - if you're going to do this - why not just admit it? He can't be tried again and a federal prosecution won't work here. That'd really sell books.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen the book or heard what he's going to say (and probably won't). Could it be that he's going to describe a different way he could have killed them to throw us all off (not that we would be)? One clue,

In a video clip on FOX's Web site, an off-screen interviewer says to Simpson, "You wrote 'I have never seen so much blood in my life.'"

"I don't think any two people could be murdered without everybody being covered in blood," Simpson responds.


I'll just have to wait and see what everyone writes about it.