Monday, August 07, 2006

Shark goes Hollywood - or, at least, Madison

Owen Robinson says that he reluctantly agreed to participate in the blog debate on the marriage amendment, at least in part because of the difficulty that public television had in finding someone to participate on the "yes" side for a project they are planning. He wrote:

What tipped me over was a news story from WPR (I think) that said that they were unable to get anyone to debate the “pro” side of the amendment on the air. Given that polls show that at least half of the people of Wisconsin support the amendment, I found it appalling that nobody was willing to step up

It was, of course, Wisconsin public television and what they were looking for was an attorney to particpate in a "mock trial" on the amendment.

I feel guilty if Owen based his decision on the absence of a pro-amendment lawyer because WPTV did get some applicants for the gig and the lawyer for "yes" will be ... me.

I don't know how many people will see the show but I can tell you that my case will feature no religious argument or contention that homosexuality is immoral (other than, perhaps, to acknowledge that many people do have religious and moral objections). Amendment opponents say that proponents can't do that. We'll see.

I expect this to be a learning experience. Watch this space for details.

In the meantime, I suspect that the Great Blog Debate will be very interesting.

1 comment:

Dad29 said...

Kudos!

Clearly, the debate will center on the Second Sentence, which is causing pausing even by Charlie.

Please post details; MANY of us are interested and may watch Public TV for the first time since the kids grew out of Sesame Street...