Sunday, September 21, 2008

Sunday Musical Interlude

While channelsurfing, I came across a video compilation of the best songs of the 80s and that got me thinking about Live Aid - a set of concerts held around the world (although primarily in Philadelphia and London)on July 13, 1985. Live Aid was broadcast on MTV and its purpose was to raise money for African relief.

Live Aid was a signficant moment in the rising popularity of an Irish band called U2.
Here's a performance of one of my favorite U2 songs, "Bad," with Bono in full mullett.



Although people often cite "Heroes," one of the better performances that I can recall from Live Aid is David Bowie singing "Modern Love."



In the interest of being a bit more 80s, here is Chrissie Hynde's then-husband Jim Kerr of Simple Minds singing "Don't You."



And, finally, Dire Straits played "The Sultans of Swing."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Bono

Sorry to say that I did not love you then...you needed a new hairdresser. That was a really bad hair day.
I did like your music though.

Go Pack. I will be there tonight with the Big Fish. However, I am of little faith. I think that Burlington's (is that right?)own
Tony Romo leads T.O and the cowboys to victory. A.R. doesn't have the experience to win this one (but he has done well so far). However, I will gladly except all good-natured chiding if I am wrong.

Anonymous said...

What a timely music selection! Next weekend is our annual Great Wisconsin Shootout, four days on a 2400-acre compound near Three Lakes celebrating freedom, property rights, firearms, and the adage that while you must grow old you can always be immature. Every year, the Shootout kicks off with Sultans of Swing (played VERY loud). "Harry doesn't mind if he doesn't make the scene ... he's got a day time job, he's doing all right..." I'd never heard this Live Aid rendition before ... thanks for posting it up mate.

James Wigderson said...

No Queen? Freddie Mercury was pretty much at the heights then.

And to the Reddess, surely there was no chance America's Team would let you down.

Anonymous said...

james

The better team did win. I think I saw Miles Austin running past my house today on his way back to Dallas...no Packers in sight.

Give the Pack some more time. They are a good team with lots to learn...they are the youngest team in the NFL after all.

Rick Esenberg said...

I thought about adding Queen but I have my quirky ways.

It's a long season, Dr. Wigderson.

Bushman of the Kohlrabi said...

Hi Rick,

I really enjoy your Sunday Music posts. If you haven't seen it, you should check out the version of Bad on their live DVD from Boston. Not as lively as the older versions but still worth a listen.