Sunday, August 03, 2008

Olde Folk Rock

One of my favorite Burkean rock songs is "My Back Pages." If you're interested I can explain why, but consider the refrain along with the these fantastic passages:

In a soldier's stance, I aimed my hand
At the mongrel dogs who teach
Fearing not that I'd become my enemy
In the instant that I preach


Equality," I spoke the word
As if a wedding vow.
Ah, but I was so much older then,
I'm younger than that now.


In any event, here's the song with vocals by its composer Bob Dylan, Roger McGuinn, Tom Petty, Neil Young, Eric Clapton and George Harrison.




And speaking of the Roger McGuinn and thinking of the Byrds covering Dylan, here are the Byrds performing "Chimes of Freedom" at the 1967 Monterey Pop Festival:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rick - fantastic old videos. As I retreat this Sunday evening from a Green Bay bouncing off the walls over Favre and the Team, it's great to find refuge at Shark and Shepherd. Thanks!